Our services are private and confidential. The counsellors and staff at RSCCGlasgow understand that our clients are concerned that confidentiality should be maintained. We will not give your name or any information about you to anyone outside our service.
The only exemptions are;
• If we are legally obliged to do so
• There is a child or vulnerable adult at risk of harm
• You disclose information relating to a serious crime
Relationships Scotland, to which we are affiliated, has produced a booklet setting out principles and practice relation to confidentiality. All counsellors and office staff receive a copy of the booklet and are required to sign a declaration of confidentiality, a copy of which is retained on their personal files.
In addition, a Confidentiality Policy Statement is available to ensure that we comply with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998. If you would like a copy of the statement, please let me know.
It may be helpful if I list some of the features of the statement:
• Office staff collect the information which is necessary to contact you and correspond with you regarding appointments. They are not made aware of any information about your circumstances which you choose to share with your counsellor.
• To aid their work counsellors maintain a basic record which summarises their discussions with you. If you wish you can have access to your file by contacting me at the address at the foot of this note.
• Client files are retained for 3 years for counselling and 7 years for sexual relationship therapy and thereafter are destroyed.
• Unless legally required to do so, we do not provide reports for solicitors or for any other purposes.
• Unauthorised recording of sessions: Counselling is a confidential undertaking and we do not allow clients to record sessions unless there are exceptional circumstances and express permission is obtained beforehand from all parties including the counsellor and manager.
If you do not consent to information being held as described above or you have any concerns about our handling of information or confidentiality, please contact me.